That is the end of our two days-long hackathon in London, the eight edition of NewsHACK! The challenge was simple - but exciting: What might we create together, to improve the NEWS industry for UK & global publishers?
Journalists, hackers, developers, and UX-ers from across the industry joined us for two rather serious days. Sadly, all that ended with the 17 5 minutes-long presentations this afternoon.
We are deeply impressed by the quality of the pitches and presentations. It’s not really a surprise with such a mix of talented people from around the industry, but is is definitely worth mentioning.
And the winners are…
First Prize from GEN
Massive congratulations to The Times for winning the first prize - a Place in the GEN finals in Barcelona!
“OneStory”: a seamless cross-media content experience for whatever the experientist wants…
The BBC News Labs & Goldsmiths University Prize
Massive congratulations to The Sunday Times for Winning the BBC prize: work with Goldsmiths University & BBC News Labs to launch a public Alpha this summer!
“The Journalist Toolbox”: a peer reviewed searchable index of tools, with tutorials.
(Update September 2015: “The Journalist Toolbox” has been renamed “Newsroom.Tools”)
- Journalism in a Social Age: The Guardian and their crowd-funded platform for data on video
- Connecting the News: BBC Newsbeat and their ‘choose your own adventure journey’
- Using and Sharing Live Video: Reuters and their annotation and tagging solution
- Video in Explanatory Journalism: The Telegraph and their idea for annotating with semantic tags
- Surprise Us: The Trinity Mirror for their swiping between different perspectives idea
Once again, thank you very much for joining us and making this event great!
Additional reading about NewsHACK VIII:
†Photo: Jiri Jerabek