Explore the use of graphic, cartoon-style storytelling, to cover current affairs in Guinea-Bissau.
Hooked is a 5 part cartoon that is based on reportage. It is set in Guinea-Bissau which has come to be known as Africa’s first narco-state.
The story is about how the international drugs trade has affected the people of this small country on the west coast of Africa.
Hooked won “Special Commendation in the Short Feature category” at the AIB Awards
Hooked is produced by the BBC Focus on Africa TV, the BBC News Magazine and BBC NewsLabs.
Credits and Approach
- Production: Hooked was produced by the BBC Focus on Africa TV, the BBC News Magazine and BBC News Labs.
- Author: A writer from Positive Negatives travelled to Bissau to interview some of the addicts.
- Copy & Graphics: PositiveNegatives
- Process: As PositiveNegatives & the addicts spent more time together the understanding of how a comic could tell the story of their lives began to take shape. Once a draft of the first chapter was written, it was read back to them, and Positive Negatives allowed them to make their own edits. This made sure that the script told their story as much as possible.
- Implementation: @Jacqui from BBC News Labs built the app using AJAM’s PULP
Get in touch!
Tweet us at @BBC_News_Labs if you want to find out more.